Sunday, July 22, 2007

There is a Bunch of Weirdness Going On

I've done my part in the past ten days or so to make rich oil executives richer. My real estate business has taken me on numerous road trips that have included Bethany, several trips to LeRoy, Mt. Morris, a couple times around Conesus Lake and one trip to Honeoye Lake. I'm getting to know Avon very well, as well as Scottsville and Caledonia. I've been all over the city of Rochester and surrounding suburbs. It's been such a whirlwind there were a couple of times I could not remember where I was the day before. I shutter to think what my gasoline bill will be this month.

Anyway, there has also been a lot of wheeling and dealing going on and it has included a bunch of strange stuff. For example, I have buyers that put an offer in on a nice property that's been on the market all summer. They offered a purchase price that was 97% of asking, which was pretty fair since the property had been on the market about 80 days. They came back with a counter that was almost full price which was probably palatable BUT they also stipulated that if inspections found deficiencies to the septic and well the BUYER must pay for the first $2000 in repairs and if the home inspection found deficiencies the BUYER must pay for the first $2000 in repairs plus would not be released from the contract unless the repairs exceeded $2000! HOLY COW! What's wrong with the place? Nothing, claims the listing agent. The seller just doesn't want to be nickled and dimed for little stuff. We didn't walk from this deal, we ran.

And then I got an offer in on one of my listings. The offer asked for appliances. Usually, that is not a big deal except this house is vacant and there are no appliances in the house. When I pointed this out to the buyer's agent, he said they knew that and wanted us to go buy appliances! That is pure craziness! And I sure don't understand why someone would intentionally wrap appliances in a 30 year mortgage. How often does a stove or refrigerator last thirty years?

There were some pleasant surprises this week as well. I was driving around LeRoy, with my clients following closely behind and was just mesmerized by the beautiful scenery.....open fields, huge barns and babbling creeks. We are blessed to live in one of the more beautiful parts of this country. We were driving down Oatka Trail, which I don't think I've ever driven down before, and suddenly there was a very cool statue garden. It is on private property but you can observe most of it from the road. Fortunately, my clients were very tolerant of me jumping out of the car and snapping a few pictures. The photos don't do it justice. If you get chance, take the drive. (And when the rich oil exec's get richer, encourage the to call me for their next house :))

No comments: