Friday, January 04, 2008

Curl up by the fire

____________________________________


RELAXATION TIME GET MORE OUT OF LIFE!
_____________________________________

I have noticed that homebuyers often get excited about the presence of a fireplace in their prospective home. I can see their plans to make Christmas memories, they might be thinking of self sufficiency during power outages, or just a romantic evening in the cold winter season.

Fireplaces are warm and cozy, but they are also responsible for about 36% of all residential fires. You can increase memories and reduce trouble by following these tips.

Choose the right wood.

Use well-seasoned firewood that has been dried for six months to a year. Logs that are soft or moist can burn off creosote, a residue that can build up in chimneys and is the leading cause of chimney fires.

Weed out color.

Newspaper and magazine ink contains chemicals that contribute to buildup in chimneys.

Close the screen.

Never let a fire burn without a sturdy screen in front of it to prevent flying sparks from catching on something flammable.
Schedule an inspection.

Fireplaces and wood stoves should be inspected annually by a certified professional for obstructions and creosote buildup.


Not all wood is created equal.

Denser woods, such as oak, birch, and maple may cost more, but burn longer and hotter. Consider ash tree wood as a good option even when not well-seasoned.



Please don’t start a fire prior to a full evaluation by a qualified person.

Have a great season,

Adam Backus- Pillar To Post
Post a Comment