Tuesday, November 08, 2016

One Nation Under God


There have been so many surprises over the past few months in relation to the national election. Surprises about missing e-mails and missing tax returns.  Surprises about locker room talk and board room speeches.  But more surprising than the sparring between the two candidates, is the anger and divide among the citizens of this great country.  So much name-calling and spreading of untrue stories to shame the opposing candidate.  Such hatred makes me so sad.

But perhaps the greatest surprise to me is the number of people that said they were not going to vote.  They didn't like either candidate and therefore either were not going to polls or just not going to pull a lever in the presidential race.  Or they were going to write in "Mickey Mouse" or some other ridiculous candidates That too made me very sad.

I set my alarm for 5 a.m. this morning and I was the first in line when the polls opened in my neighborhood.  Then I did something I really don't enjoy doing.  I took a selfie of myself with  my "I Voted" sticker and posted it for the world to see.  And I urged people to go vote.  Damn-it, too many young Americans have laid their lives on the line to preserve our democracy for grown Americans not to take this privilege and responsibility very seriously.  As I write this, there are still two hour before the polls close and if you've not voted, please do it and do it seriously.

All the surprises today were not bad surprises.  I also wandered over to Mt Hope Cemetery where Susan B. Anthony  is buried.  Me and thousands of others.  What a heart-warming experience as many women and a few men stood in line for up to two hours to put their "I voted" sticker on SBA's tombstone.  Thank you Susan for fighting for our right to vote and today we had the opportunity to vote for a woman as the President of the United States of America.  I never thought this would happen in my lifetime.

God bless America and help us heal.


No comments: